Sunday, August 22, 2010

Statement of intent

I realized earlier that I had not posted my artist statement of intent anywhere on this site. So, following the paintings post, here is a more brief version of my statement of intent.
---

I am interested in creating images as an entry point to view the projected manifestation of desire, the mortality of the flesh, and the topography of history and memory.

It is about the intersections of loss and desire; an inextricable balance of presence and memory. It is also about the psychology of what it means to bear witness, or even what it means to be forcibly turned askance from an event.
On a formal level, the content of my work is fixed and stable, yet filled with a degree of instability, confusion and nausea through the obscuration of the subject matter. It heavily relies on the idea of the perception of the image; the denial of the versimilitudinous nature of images. This implicates an imminent downfall, hypoxia, and quietus within the work itself, which is thus muted within it’s own anxiety, somewhere between truth and a void.

---


No comments: